What a perfect day for National Read Across America Day, as it is the one and only Dr. Seuss’s birthday (actual name Theodor Seuss Geisel).
“The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go." Dr. Seuss (I Can Read With My Eyes Shut)
Dr. Seuss books were always a childhood favorite, and still remain some favorites. He definitely began my love of books. Gather up your favorite Dr. Seuss books and have a reading marathon with your favorite little one.
"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go..." Dr. Seuss (Oh, the Places You’ll Go).
If you don’t have a little one in your life you can pay homage to the man of riddles with a Seuss inspired menu.
A grown up version of Green Eggs and Ham: (looks delish)
1 cup Cookin’ Greens Spinach (cooked & chilled)
24 Hard-Boiled Eggs (medium or large)
½ cup (125 ml) low-fat mayonnaise
½ cup (125 ml) low-fat cream cheese
1 tbsp (15 ml) Dijon mustard
1/8 tsp (1 ml) cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp (2 ml) sea salt
1/8 tsp (0.5 ml) black pepper
2 slices (12 g) pancetta, cooked until crisp and
broken into 1/2” pieces
2 tbsp (30 ml) finely chopped chives
- Using a thin paring knife, cut eggs in half lengthwise.
- Carefully remove yolks and place into a mixing bowl.
- Mash with a fork until as smooth as possible. Set aside.
- Arrange whites cut side up onto a parchment lined tray,
cover, and refrigerate until needed.
- Add Cookin’ Greens – Chopped Spinach, mayonnaise,
cream cheese, and Dijon mustard to the bowl of a food
processor. Puree until combined thoroughly.
- Add mashed egg yolks, cayenne pepper, salt, and black
pepper to spinach mixture, and pulse until smooth.
- Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour to chill.
Using a piping bag, carefully pipe spinach and egg filling into
each egg white half. Garnish with chives and a sliver of
crisp pancetta. Serve immediately.
COOKIN’ GREENS TIP: To help eggs sit upright on the
serving tray, carefully cut a small slice from the rounded
side of each egg white 1/2.
Be sure to wash your eggs down with a Pink Yink Ink Drink:
- ½ pint fresh or ½ cup frozen blackberries
- 1 cup milk
- 6 fresh strawberries (green tops removed) or ½ cup frozen strawberries, thawed
- 1 tsp honey
- Put the blackberries in a blender and puree them.
- Pour into a large glass.
- Put the milk, strawberries and honey in a blender and blend.
- Strain the mixture (optional).
- Pour the strawberry mixture carefully on top of the blackberry mixture
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." Dr. Seuss