Monday, July 26, 2010

A Historical Step

So right down the street form me is this little museum that you may have heard of, the Chicago History Museum.  I have been here for over 3 months and until today had still not visited. (Crazy since it is just blocks away)  Another little known fact about the museum is that it is free on Monday’s.  Finding myself with little to do today I decided to take advantage of “free Monday” and check out the “I Do, Chicago Ties the Knot” exhibit.  I am so glad that I went and took in this little gem.

001

From May 22, 2010 until January 3, 2011 the history museum is featuring the “I Do, Chicago Ties the Knot” exhibit.  Unfortunately I have no photos I can share, as you can not take pictures in the exhibit, but I can tell you about all the beautiful things I saw and learned.

One of the first things I saw was 3 beautiful fans from the 1800’s.  Flirting in those days was something far different then it is today.  Women actually used fans to convey messages; by simply placing a tip of the finger on the fan a woman was saying she wanted to speak with a gentlemen, however if she placed the fan by her left ear it meant that she wanted that man to go away.  I may have to invest in a fan and see if this still works.

There were so many beautiful gowns, bridesmaids dresses, and other wedding attire.  It just amazes me the detail put into these gowns, the construction is just awe inspiring.  If you get a chance to go check it out be sure to look for my three favorite gowns:

1.  A stunning gown from 1916, worn by Katherine Keith.  The gown is made of  silk satin, lace, chiffon, ribbon and flowers.  When I think wedding dresses this is what I envision.  A wide skirt supported by a boning structure (known as the pannier), a square (just low enough) neckline, a pointed waistline and pleated embellishment.  This gown just screams wedding  other then its beige coloring.

2.  OMG, how incredible this 1927 dress worn by Mary Louise Wright is.  This one will certainly grab your attention upon entering the room, just for its rich blue color.  The flapper style dress was made of delicate silk crepe with glass beads and a heavy silk embroidery.  The heavy embroidery helped to weigh down the crepe so that it did not blow around. 

3.  This final dress I want to bring to your attention, I could not take my eyes off of.  If planning my own wedding I would very much want a dress mirroring this amazing piece.  My wedding gown twin, was worn by Louise de Marigny Dewey in 1934, in what was said to be “THE social event of the year”.  A gorgeous silk satin, that looked like butter, with lace, rhinestone and pearl accents.  This dress reminds me of old Hollywood, with its long sweeping train and bias cut.  One had to feel nothing but glamorous in this gown!

Throughout the exhibit they also had “wedding songs” of today and yesterday playing. 

I was reminded how much I love this song and how much it speaks to what a wedding is all about.

If you can, go see this in person, you have until January 3, so there is still plenty of time.  This is definitely one that should be experienced for anyone planning on getting married or just has a love for fashion.  Grab your bridesmaids and go get inspired!

No comments:

Post a Comment